|The current outcomes identified in the Ministry's Statement of Intent are:
To achieve these outcomes and ensure accountability we need to:
- People are able to realise the best value from the sustainable and efficient use of fisheries.
- The health of the aquatic environment is protected.
- Credible fisheries management.
- Determine how fisheries management systems and processes can best operate to achieve the Fisheries vision.
- Set priorities, allocate resources and monitor progress against outcomes.
The Ministry is currently working with tangata whenua and stakeholders to finalise a direction and strategy for our fisheries for the next twenty years.
Subject to Cabinet consideration and approval, the Ministry intends to begin implementing Fisheries 2030 in 2009/10 and expects to have in place a monitoring and evaluation regime to assess delivery against revised and more comprehensive outcomes and our strategic direction by June 2010. Our next Statement of Intent will reflect the resulting changes.